This Burning Bush (Euonymus alatus compactus) is from Reiner Goebel’s bonsai gallery on his beautifully designed website. The tree started out as very ordinary looking nursery plant (see below) in 1998.
BTW: if you want to set up your own back yard bonsai display and are looking for inspiration, take a look at Reiner’s back yard. Judging by the photos, it looks like one of the best home displays I’ve seen. And while you’re there, check out Reiner’s, and two guests,’ very sweet bonsai galleries.
Though Reiner had already done some pruning and wiring by the time he took this photo, still, you get the drift…
This vibrant Katsura Japanese maple (Acer palmatum ‘Katsura’) is also from Reiner’s collection. He purchased it as nursery stock in 1980 and started work on it in 1981. The photos below show the progression through the first few years.
- Born 1937 in Dortmund, Germany
- Immigrated to Canada in 1959
- Studied to become a Chartered Accountant
- Married, two children
- Became interested in bonsai in 1980
- Presently Treasurer of the Toronto Bonsai Society and the Internet
- Member of the Board of Directors of the American Bonsai Society